Skip to main content

A Different Type of Thanksgiving



This year, Thanksgiving looks a little different.  

It’s not going to have all the excitement.


There will be no sweet potato casserole.


The side dishes will be limited. 


The house will be quieter.  


Hosting Thanksgiving is our thing.  We have hosted every year since we bought our first home.  Typically, my aunt comes and my husband’s whole family comes.   It’s the only time we are all together in one big group.  And there are a lot of us.  Hosting everyone is a big deal to me. It’s become our tradition. The only Thanksgiving tradition my kids know.


But this year is different. This year it will just be the five of us. 


Every year I get stressed.  Anyone who knows me knows that me being stressed isn’t really anything new.  I rush home to clean, bake and premake everything I can for the next day. I am usually up late. Anyone with kids knows that cleaning with kids around is like brushing your teeth with Oreos. 


I’m always exhausted. I usually shower 30 minutes before everyone starts arriving and attempt to make myself presentable. 


And I typically find myself complaining the entire time I’m preparing.  


But then people start arriving. The day is full of laughter and wonderful conversations. Catching up and hearing old stories. Some of those stories I have heard every year since Jay and I met; but they never get old. The day is full of chaos and love. 


And once everyone leaves I am always so thankful we hosted. Thankful for the new memories. Thankful for a big crazy family that I get to be a part of.  Thankful for another year together.


But this year, it’s just the five of us. 


We are making a meal that probably only three of the five of us will eat. It will not be the same as past years. A big part of me is broken hearted. 


Yes, this day is less stressful but it also seems less exciting.  Less like a holiday.  

It is one of my favorites.  It is about being grateful and family.  Something I think we miss out on a lot in life.  How important it is to be grateful and realize your blessings.  How valuable time is with family.  Life is so busy and on days like Thanksgiving, the busyness stops and family takes precedence.


I could just focus on what will be missing this year, but instead I am going to try to embrace it and look for any positives I can.  


I’m not stressing or frantically cleaning. I made pies with my girls and I don’t have to be as worried that they may licked the spatula then put it back in the bowl. 


I took some pictures. I allowed them to have another cookie as we smashed our gluten free Oreos for the pudding pie. 


On Thanksgiving we will get up, I will pretend we are going to watch the parade together.  Which will get turned off 15 minutes into it for some cartoon.  I always get out voted.


I will try to relax, eat and watch football as Addy screams “go baby, go” during every single play. 

It might not be as exciting but we will be together. Our little family of five will enjoy a quiet day at home together being thankful for all we have been blessed with. Okay it won’t be quiet because no day is quiet in this house.


Hopefully next year will be a house full of people laughing and enjoying each other’s company. I will be reminded how grateful we are for our family.  And how grateful we will be when we can celebrate together again.  


And I’ll be sure to remember how I feel today. And I’ll do my best not to get frustrated or complain as I prepared next year.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

Lifting Women up

Happy International Women’s Day, no wait, it was yesterday.  Like many moms, I am a day late. Honestly, I forgot.  But the sentiment is still the same.  Sometimes being a little late, well it's just a reality that I am dealing with these days.   This “I can do it all, by myself, with heels on” culture is really hard on women.  I have fallen into that trap one too many times and the outcome hasn’t been pretty.  Though I agree shattering that glass ceiling is important, so is shattering the idea that all women have to do it all to be successful.   Frankly, we are enough just with who we are; the way God made us.  What we choose to do, or not do, doesn’t define us. So, I am proposing that we take a step back and decide from this moment forward to only lift other women up.  And if we find ourselves tempted to pull them down, kick off those heels and run the other way. One thing we need to do: normalize asking for help.  Typically, as soon as a woman shares a struggle or asks for help,