Skip to main content

Easter is NOT canceled


Last weekend, I was off to pick up my Hungry Howie’s gluten free pizza, just rocking out to my Jesus jams in my minivan, when it hit me. Suddenly. Hard. Like a freight train. It took the breath right out of me. My high notes suddenly went flat. My eyes filled with tears. The realization came: I won’t be going to church on Easter.  Intellectually, I knew this already, but my heart was lagging far behind.  Missing church has been a struggle for me these past few weeks.  But for me, not being in church on Easter is unfathomable. I had obviously been in denial.  Now, realization was here and devastation was setting in.  I will not be going to church on Easter.  This Easter will be anything but our typical Easter celebration.  My heart hurt.

Easter is a new beginning

See, being in church on Easter is significant for me in many ways.  It was just 3 years ago on Easter when everything really changed for my family.  While attending my parents’ church in the Bible belt, the pastor’s sermon spoke directly to our souls. The message was clear.  God spoke to my husband and I through that sermon.  We found Jesus in a way we never had before.  It was the day my husband and I came back to God and our true walk with Christ began. That very next Easter we would find ourselves sitting in a pew while my husband’s testimony was shared with our entire church. The amazing difference a year can make when you follow Jesus.  Easter was truly our new beginning. 
    

Easter has been canceled?

I was further devastated by hearing the words “Easter has been canceled” all around me.  But against what you will see on social media or hear on the local news, Easter is NOT canceled.  See, Easter can’t be canceled.  Our Lord and Savior overcame death.  He has already won. The promise of Easter will always stand.  This isn’t some television show that is no longer popular or some concert that didn’t sell out.  It is Easter.  It’s God’s most perfect, sincere, gift of His love.    

So, what is canceled?

Egg hunts. Breakfast with the Easter Bunny.  Sure, it’s fun to spend $25 on one picture of your screaming, terrified toddler who is being forced to sit on a giant, creepy bunny’s lap. Those things are canceled.  It is all nothing compared to the true reason for Easter. It is not about egg hunts.  It is not about an Easter basket.  It is not about a giant bunny.  Which in all honesty, can we please all just take a minute and agree the bunny is creepy? 

Easter is about Jesus

Easter is about the sacrifice of the Lamb of God so that those that believe in him may have eternal life.  Easter is about so much more than what we have attached to Easter.  Though many of these traditions are fun, they crumble in comparison. Our Savior was flogged. Nailed to a cross.  Crucified.  Died.  Placed in a tomb. And then, Our Savior rose from the dead.  He overcame death.  

And why did he endure all of this?  For us.  His love for us is so strong that he was willing to take on our sins, to suffer in ways we can’t even begin to imagine, so that we can have eternal life with him.  There is no greater sign of love, no greater gift, than Easter.  A gift, if we are being perfectly honest, we do not deserve.


So, I refuse to let anyone tell me Easter is canceled.  What will my family and I do? First off, we are going to take the focus off the giant, creepy bunny and put it back where it belongs, on Jesus. We will be preparing our hearts for Easter.  We are going to pray.  We are going to have worship dance parties. (Okay, we do this one all the time anyway, but the kids know how to say “Alexa play Christian Music.”)  We are going to reflect on the sacrifice Jesus made for us. And on Easter Sunday we will watch Easter service as a family.  We will sing worship songs.  We will read the bible and reflect on what Easter really means.  We will be thankful for all that the Lord has blessed us with.  We will not focus on the negatives of this life, or this period in time, because this life is not forever.  This life is a blink of an eye in comparison to eternity.   

As I read my children “God Gave us Easter” at bedtime, my heart felt truly full for the first time since my drive last weekend.  I got teary eyed, but for a different reason this time.  God’s timing is always impeccable.  This gift arrived today at the exact time we needed it.  The story so simply explains the true meaning of Easter. Easter is not about a bunny or chocolate. (I do, however plan to enjoy some chocolate this Sunday.)  Easter is about JESUS.  Easter is every day of our lives and for all of eternity.

So, Rejoice.  Raise a hallelujah. Our Lord reigns. The King has Risen.  

Easter has not been canceled!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

Jesus over Politics

I wasn’t sure I was going to comment about the recent events in our nation. I have started so many blogs about the dissension in our country, but never finished. Felt lost for words.    Where are we?   Who are we?   What I am about to say may make some people unfollow me or angry.  But, if it does upset you enough to do that, I would like you to take a minute and question why.  If you are offended...does it mean I hit a cord?   Over the past year I have simply watched kind, loving christian people turn their faith into their political party.  I may have been guilty of this myself.  Politics has gone from something that people can disagree on to something that defines a person.       And before you try to stop me and say “well wait, maybe you don’t understand or know about this,” I have taught government for the past several years.  I understand the government and work really hard to know the facts, so that I can teach my students in a completely unbiased fashion.  I pride myself on the