Skip to main content

Mama Needs a Break

 Sometimes, I need a break.  Not like a Ross and Rachel, circa 1997, type break, but a break nonetheless. 


 A break from just...everything. 


That sounds terrible, right?  Especially from a mom.  I am sure to some it sounds selfish.  But right now life seems crazy and even overwhelming at times.  


Recently, I have started to truly reflect on why that is.  I have a good life.  I am so thankful for my blessings.  I adore my children.  I have a wonderful husband.  So, why am I feeling this way?  Why am I so exhausted? Why do I have a desire to disappear and go off the radar for a day or two? 


And there were some obvious answers that came to mind. I’m typically overextended. I don’t get enough sleep. My diet and exercise routine has been less than stellar lately. I want to help others in need so I rarely say no.  Actually, I feel guilty saying no.  I have three energetic kids.I am basically trying to do it all, all the time.

  

And let’s not forget, the entire world is a bit crazy right now. 


But maybe all those reasons are not really the problem.  Maybe it is more than that.


Maybe the problem is that God didn't design us that way. Maybe we weren’t meant to do it all. 


Maybe not every arena is designed for us.  


Maybe we do not have to seize every opportunity.  


Maybe we are busy trying to do it on our own, without help.  God didn't design us to do it alone.  He designed us to live in community with others.


Maybe we are trying to do it on our own, without God.  We are not designed that way.  We are to lean on Him and gain strength and discernment.


Maybe He gave us a day of rest because we really need a full day of rest. But yet, as moms, we often feel guilty resting and an entire day seems impossible or even ludacris. We feel selfish talking time for ourselves. But maybe that time is truly necessary.  


Maybe I'm so tired, frustrated and anxious because my focus isn’t where it should be.


Maybe I am doing good things, but they are not the good things God designed me to do.


Maybe I’m doing what I want to do or what I feel obligated to do.  Maybe some of these things are not what God designed me to do.    


Maybe I’m doing this on my own. Maybe even the things I think I am doing for God is still about me.  Maybe it isn’t what God is calling me to do.  


So, maybe I need to say no and be okay with it. 


Maybe I need to eliminate some “good” things to focus on the “best” things.


Maybe I need to leave the piles of laundry for a day and play with my kids.


Maybe I need to leave the dishes in the sink and have fun with my husband.  


Maybe I need to leave my to do list on the counter and go for a walk.  


Maybe I need a break.  A day of rest. A recharge. A time to listen, instead of speak.  A time to reprioritize. 


Maybe I need to just be still.  Pray.  Spend time with God. God will lead me to what He designed me to do, if I just stop, wait and listen.   



#christianmom #momofgirls #mamaneedsabreak #godsplan #momof3girls #momof3 #godsdesign #tiredmama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

God's Impact on Marriage

  As we celebrate our 7th year of marriage, I could make it look like it’s been all bliss.  Life is perfect.  We are the perfect couple.  Life is always great.  Someone once told me we were the “power couple for Christ.” Which is an amazing compliment, but, for those of you who know me, I am not about the highlight reel .   When we pretend our marriages are perfect, we do a huge disservice to other married couples who may have struggles. I also think that we do the same thing to unmarried people when we complain about our spouse or our marriage and make it appear that the struggles are not worth it.  There is a difference between being real and complaining about your spouse. This is meant to be real .  A dose of reality .  First off, when we met we were not leading a very Christian life. Honestly, we weren’t really followers at all.  Neither of us were sexually pure and we moved in together 4 months after we met.  Here we were, both fiercely independent people, in their late 20’s, with