Skip to main content

My Middle Child


I find myself mesmerized as I gaze at her sweet face as she snuggles into bed. Hair is a mess and her pjs probably don’t match.  Might even be on backwards, inside out or both.  She has a style all her own.  My middle child.  Did I plan her?  Nope.  Had I followed my plan, I would have missed out on the gift of being her mother.  Lucky for me, God had a different plan. 

After I had my first child, I WAS DONE.  To say my pregnancy was challenging is an understatement.  And pregnancy was easy in comparison to my delivery.  Without providing the terrifying details and risking traumatizing new moms to be, I will simply say there was nothing typical about it.  It wasn’t so much that I didn’t want more children, as much as I didn’t want to go through any of that again.  So, I had successfully convinced myself that one child was all I was going to have.

Right before Ellyana’s first birthday my hubby approached the subject of another baby.  I kindly humored him and told him we could discuss it when I had finished my masters degree.  That bought me some time.   The plan was that when it was time to talk about it again, I would come up with a new excuse as to why I wasn’t ready yet and we would continue this circular conversation until menopause.  I had a plan. 

A rock-solid plan.

Oh, but God has a sense of humor. One week, one week exactly, after my beautiful first child turned one, I realized I was late.  Since I am never late, I decided I needed to take a pregnancy test.  It read error.  Error?  They have an error message? So much for spending extra money on those digital tests.  Ok, to be fair it was kind of an old test, but still!  I took another one.  PREGNANT.  As scared as I was in that moment, I also found myself surprisingly…happy. 


From early on, she has kept me on my toes. She never ceases to amaze me.  She is a thinker.  A planner.  She executes her plans perfectly.  She understands and uses sarcasm appropriately.  She is witty and wise beyond her years.

Emmy is the kid that is clean when I close the van door and has dirt on her face when I open it.  She always looks like she just had the best day ever when I pick her up from school.  Seriously, I have found sticks in her hair. You can guarantee rocks are in her pocket.  She wears dresses to play in the dirt. 


And on any given day you will find her involved in her art.  Focusing for long periods of time on her sidewalk chalk creations.  You can find her singing, dancing and putting on quite the performance at random.  Whether a Disney movie or worship music, she has an uncanny ability to remember lyrics.  How she memorizes prayers and scripture is fascinating to me.   


She always has someone laughing.  She knows exactly how to push her big sister’s buttons. But through all the silliness, she has the biggest heart.  She loves fiercely, even at a young age.  She is the first to give me words of wisdom when I need it.  With a big hug and a reminder “don’t be sad mommy, Jesus loves you.”  She seems to understand Jesus on a deeper level than I do. She offers the most heartfelt prayers.  She is such a kid now as she is creeping up on age 4 but, she still wants to snuggle with me. 

See, God had her planned from the very beginning.  And He picked me to be her mommy. I was blinded by fear and he showed me the miracle he had in store.  As I snuggle with her before bed, I thank him for the blessing of my Emmy. I could never fully put into words the gratitude I feel that God didn’t listen to my plans and give me what I thought I wanted.  The world needs her.  I need her.  Emeilia will remain the best surprise I ever got.    


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

Jesus over Politics

I wasn’t sure I was going to comment about the recent events in our nation. I have started so many blogs about the dissension in our country, but never finished. Felt lost for words.    Where are we?   Who are we?   What I am about to say may make some people unfollow me or angry.  But, if it does upset you enough to do that, I would like you to take a minute and question why.  If you are offended...does it mean I hit a cord?   Over the past year I have simply watched kind, loving christian people turn their faith into their political party.  I may have been guilty of this myself.  Politics has gone from something that people can disagree on to something that defines a person.       And before you try to stop me and say “well wait, maybe you don’t understand or know about this,” I have taught government for the past several years.  I understand the government and work really hard to know the facts, so that I can teach my students in a completely unbiased fashion.  I pride myself on the