Skip to main content

Being a Mom is hard

I hear the words “being a mom is hard” come out of my mouth and immediately I cringe.  I know I will likely hear a comment that is not going to make me feel much better.  If anything, it will make me feel worse.  I can almost start listing them off: you don’t know how blessed you are; other people wish they had kids; etc.  I thank God every day for my girls. 

But…it…is…hard. 

So, if you have ever been the person who has felt drawn to scold a mom or immediately remind her of her blessings, I have made this list for you.  See, when a mom says “being a mom is hard,” there is so much more behind those words.

What it may mean:

I am tired and I haven’t slept in 6 years.

I am trying to manage this new phase of our lives.

One kid is teething and one kid is tantruming.

I feel like I am failing them.

I lost my temper today.

My kids are growing up so fast.

I am not a pinterest mom.

I miss the school stuff because I have to work.

I hate putting them in daycare.

I feel guilty because I like working and my job.

My kid is sick and it hurts me to see them like that.

I am comparing myself to others and I feel don’t measure up.

My child struggles in school and it breaks my heart.

Everything that worked with kid one, doesn’t work with kid two.

My child isn’t making friends.

My child is getting made fun of.

My child is being a bully.

I can’t seem to manage everything on my plate.

I have no idea what I am doing right now.

I give so much of myself to my kids that I have nothing left for my husband.

I am single mom/widow and I must be both parents.

I am afraid I am screwing them up.

Money is tight and we are struggling.

My kids are close together and fight constantly.

My kids are far apart and don’t relate.

We are divorced and trying to navigate co-parenting.

I am struggling to relate to my teenager.

Potty training.

My husband and I disagree on parenting and it causes us to argue.

I feel like I handled that situation wrong and I don’t know how to fix it.

 

Now that we have some ideas of what she may be saying.  

Here is a list of what those words do not mean!

I don’t love my kids.

I am selfish.

I wish I didn’t have children.

I am not thankful for them.

I do not realize I am blessed.

I am ungrateful.

I am uncaring.

My kids are a burden.

 

Too often we jump to lecturing and shaming instead of just listening and acknowledging.  Being a mom is hard and it is okay to say it.  But it is hard because we love our kids.  Because they are important.  Because we want to be good moms.  Instead of judging or assuming what a mom means when she says “This is hard,” embrace her, listen to her, love her.  Moms need support and a lot less shaming. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

God's Impact on Marriage

  As we celebrate our 7th year of marriage, I could make it look like it’s been all bliss.  Life is perfect.  We are the perfect couple.  Life is always great.  Someone once told me we were the “power couple for Christ.” Which is an amazing compliment, but, for those of you who know me, I am not about the highlight reel .   When we pretend our marriages are perfect, we do a huge disservice to other married couples who may have struggles. I also think that we do the same thing to unmarried people when we complain about our spouse or our marriage and make it appear that the struggles are not worth it.  There is a difference between being real and complaining about your spouse. This is meant to be real .  A dose of reality .  First off, when we met we were not leading a very Christian life. Honestly, we weren’t really followers at all.  Neither of us were sexually pure and we moved in together 4 months after we met.  Here we were, both fiercely independent people, in their late 20’s, with