Skip to main content

The Highlight Reels vs Real Life

The highlight reels. It’s typically what we share. Look at these pictures. Looks like pure fun. The enjoyment on their faces. All 3 girls quietly and happily painting. Focused on their art project. But this picturesque scene lasted maybe 3 minutes.


Rocks are a big deal around here. I don’t get it but every load of laundry I do I find a rock in someone’s pocket. They refer to them as “the collection.” Painting them is one of their favorite warm weather activities. They are intent on creating a rock garden.

Since the weather has improved, painting them has been of high priority. But with the chaos of last week, it just wasn’t going to happen. So, I promised them we would this week and today seemed like the perfect day. I set everything up outside. I even brought out washable finger paints for Addy so she could participate. And as everyone started painting I took some quick pictures of their fun.

But here is what you don’t see:

It was windy. Elly spilled the water cup multiple times. Addy knocked the entire cup of paint brushes into the paint. The colors got mixed together. Addy painted her body and with every stroke said “oh no, what happened?” Addy decided to water the plants with our water cup and the bucket we were using to wash rocks. She tried to drink the dirty water. And then it started to rain. We frantically moved everything inside the garage. Emmy cried because she couldn’t paint rocks.

This was not the fun experience I had imagined to start off our day.

But this is REAL life. This is REAL parenting. Things don’t go as planned. We need to regroup, change courses, and continue drinking our lukewarm coffee. And this afternoon…try again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

Salt and Light

Across the US, panic has been unfolding.   The Holy Spirit has been placing this on my heart and a fter the sermon yesterday, I was certain my direction for my blog this week had changed.    Americans seem to be falling into two groups: toilet paper hoarders and indifferent individuals.   As Christians, these moments can test our faith. I have been asked how I am so calm right now.   My calmness  has lead me to even be accused of not taking this pandemic seriously.   (Which, I assure you is absolutely not the case.)  I'm calm because I truly believe that God had a plan for my life before I breathed my first breath, part of that plan also includes when it will all be over.   As Christians we are not supposed to be a people of fear.   2 Timothy 1:7 Tells us that God has given us a spirit not of fear, but of power, love and self-control.   Because of this, I refuse live in a state of panic right now.   God is in control.   Now, let’s be completely  clear;  I am NO