Skip to main content

An Awkward Encounter


I recently shared how my life is sort of like a reality TV show.  I have been told I should write a book.  Hmmm. Anyway...moving on.  A few weeks ago in the middle of a terrible week, I had one of those weird incidents that typically only happen to me.  

Someone backed into my van.  Now that seems like something that could happen to anyone. It is pretty common I assume. But, did I mention I was stopped, at a red light, on a busy road?  It felt like slow motion as I watched this car back up...down the hill and right into me.  I couldn’t prevent it.  There was nothing I could do at this moment. I mean, you don’t expect this to happen.  I was not mentally prepared for this. Especially, not on that day.  

I did the normal thing I assume someone would do in a situation such as this. I looked at him awkwardly and confused. He got out of his car and proceeded to yell at me.  I am sure my confused look was even more awkward now. Was all of this really happening?  

He informed me in his outside voice that his car stopped working.  I still have no idea what that means.  Not only did his car stop working, but so did his foot and hand because he couldn’t brake or put it into park until after his car made contact with mine.  He then made sure I understood that my van was fine and I didn’t need to inspect it further. In his same kind tone, he told me I needed to drive around him because his car wasn’t going to move anytime soon. 

Typically, I would have been very polite, possibly even helpful.  But not today.  Not in this moment.  Instead I spouted off “good luck with your car” in my outside voice.  And I clearly wasn't wishing him well.  It was even sarcastic and a bit rude. Not my usual behavior.

As I drove away, my anger turned into tears.  The entire experience was quite unpleasant.  Suddenly, I felt bad for being rude.  I should have done better.  I should have controlled myself. I should have been more kind.  I allowed myself to feed off of his negativity.  How I handled myself in that moment could have been a reflection of God, but instead I stooped to his level.  I missed an opportunity to show the love of Christ to someone else.

I knew I needed to forgive him for how he treated me. Forgiveness. Eek. We all love being forgiven and we are so thankful for the forgiveness of Jesus. But when it comes to us forgiving someone else, that’s where it gets tricky. 

His lack of an apology doesn’t negate that I need to forgive him.  And then I need to forgive myself for my own poor behavior.  Forgiving ourselves can also be a challenge.  

In my life I have found it easy to forgive minor indiscretions.  Well, maybe after some minor venting and possible dwelling.  But REAL forgiveness is HARD. It’s hard to forgive someone who has hurt you, wronged you, caused you pain.  The closer that person is to you, the greater that pain, the harder to forgive.  It feels almost impossible when the person never asks you for forgiveness. 

But Jesus tells us to forgive and He knows it’s not going to be easy. Matthew 6:14-15, Psalm 103:3, Luke 11:4, Colossians 3:13. These are just a few of the scriptures reminding us to forgive.  Just a FEW.  I take it that He really means it when he tells us to forgive.  

What does that look like to forgive others who have hurt you?  What does it look like to forgive ourselves?  And how do we ask for forgiveness and accept that we have caused pain to someone else?  Over the course of the next few weeks I am going to explore forgiveness.  Join me in growing in our ability to forgive as Jesus calls us to do. 


For the next blog in this series Why I Apologize

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

You Smell Like Summer

  As I snuggle up next to you and say prayers, I can’t help but notice, you smell like summer. That familiar smell of sunscreen. That outdoor smell. Your cheeks are lightly sun kissed. Too young to remember the events of the day for long.  Exhausted from our day of fun.   You want snuggles before you fall asleep, pretty much every night now.  I know many say that I shouldn’t do it.  It spoils you.  But to be honest,  I enjoy those nightly snuggles as much as you do.  Maybe even more. For just a couple minutes every night I lay down next to you and you wrap your tiny little arms around me. The worries of the world disappear. You smile at me and close your eyes. The smile lingers on your face for a few seconds more.  Sometimes,  I lay there for only a few minutes.  Then, I give you one more kiss and we say good night before I leave.  But other nights, nights like tonight, I lay here and watch you as you drift off to sleep. Tonight, you smell like summer.  A fresh reminder of the fun day