Skip to main content

Mary or Martha


Have you ever come across something that just stops you dead in your tracks? Out of nowhere it knocks you right on your butt.  That was me today.  I was trying to read my devotionals while making breakfast, pulling my toddler off the counter, sipping coffee, it happened to me.  Here I was distracted as usual and BAM-right here in the story of Mary and Martha, it hit me.  


I...am...Martha.  


Eek.  I did not see that one coming.


“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


I am Martha.  I am too busy, too tired, too worried, too stressed all...the...time.  I am focusing on the million day to day tasks that need done, but neglecting one major priority: My time with God.  


Lately, I have been preoccupied with planning for back to school for me and the kids.  Trying to find the right masks, reading the latest numbers, the most recent articles by experts that contradict the article that I had just read.  Reading re-opening plans.  Add in a bit of bargain shopping, writing more, volunteer/serving opportunities, groups I am involved in and planning social distance birthday parties, I have kept myself pretty occupied.  This list is not all inclusive either.  It lacks my day to day tasks that need accomplished when raising 3 young children and attempting to keep up with the laundry.  Attempting.  Yes, there is some social media scrolling in there, but I am not filling my time with tasks that are unholy or sinful, but they are still distracting me from what is most important.  


Martha was so focused on being a good hostess. She was busy with the tasks at hand.  The tasks that caused her to miss the opportunity to sit at the feet of our Lord and learn.   She missed the opportunity to be close to Him.  To get to know Him. To build a strong relationship with Him.  Martha wasn’t doing anything wrong or sinful.  It wasn’t that she didn’t love Jesus. It wasn’t that she didn’t care to spend this time with him. Her focus was just not correct and her priorities out of line.  She was missing what was most important.      


I am Martha and it has caused me to be slacking in my time with God.  I have had more days than I would like to admit when I have skipped my bible reading, I didn’t get to my devotionals and I fell asleep praying.  


I set my alarm to get up before the kids, so I can give God my undivided attention.  I really enjoy my one on one time with Him over a warm cup of coffee. But recently, this isn’t happening.  Instead, I hit the snooze button until I hear the pitter patter of little feet down the hall or my toddler knocking and yelling “mama” from her room.  


I am Martha.  I am missing the most important part.  I am exhausted.  I am anxious.  I am not spending the time with God and it shows.  This is why my mind is racing.  This is why I am caught up in everything going on in the world right now.  This is why I am letting fear creep in, instead of sitting at the feet of Jesus and listening.  


I have lost my focus on spending the time with God.  Most of what I am filling my time with can be considered God honoring, but ultimately I am missing what truly matters.  


I am Martha.  I need to get back to being Mary.  I see that more now than ever.  It is time to change my focus.  I need to re-prioritize, starting today.  Today, I will make a plan.  Today, I will pray.  And tomorrow, with my eyes focused on God, I will enjoy our one on one time, over a cup of coffee and watching the sunrise. 

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

You Smell Like Summer

  As I snuggle up next to you and say prayers, I can’t help but notice, you smell like summer. That familiar smell of sunscreen. That outdoor smell. Your cheeks are lightly sun kissed. Too young to remember the events of the day for long.  Exhausted from our day of fun.   You want snuggles before you fall asleep, pretty much every night now.  I know many say that I shouldn’t do it.  It spoils you.  But to be honest,  I enjoy those nightly snuggles as much as you do.  Maybe even more. For just a couple minutes every night I lay down next to you and you wrap your tiny little arms around me. The worries of the world disappear. You smile at me and close your eyes. The smile lingers on your face for a few seconds more.  Sometimes,  I lay there for only a few minutes.  Then, I give you one more kiss and we say good night before I leave.  But other nights, nights like tonight, I lay here and watch you as you drift off to sleep. Tonight, you smell like summer.  A fresh reminder of the fun day