Skip to main content

Forgiveness Series: Why I Apologize

I sit down on the couch next to my 5 year old, with tears in my eyes. I look her in the eyes and say “I’m sorry.”  She immediately says “I forgive you.”  We discuss what happened then we both say I love you and back to playing she goes.  

I don’t always get it right.  I don’t handle every situation correctly.  Sometimes, I yell.  I yell more than I would like to admit.  Sometimes, I can't handle all the noise.  Sometimes, my immediate reaction to misbehavior isn’t what it should be.  

I am not a perfect parent.  I screw up all the time.  My kids are not perfect kids.  But who is perfect?  God. God is perfect 

Growing up I didn’t have the best role models for how to handle discipline. 

I was a well behaved child. I obeyed. But my obedience was out of fear, not respect, love or the desire to do the right thing.  

I can recall specific situations, moments from as far back as age 4 or 5.  The age my two oldest children are now.  Punishments that made no sense.  Being punished for being a kid. Punishments I felt I didn’t deserve, that I still don’t feel I deserved.  At times I didn't know something I did or said was wrong until I was in trouble. 

No discussion, explanation, chance to do better-just punishment

By age 11 or 12 I learned that being honest or asking questions only got me into more trouble, so I often made up the “lesson learned” to end my grounding.    

Every once in awhile I hear things come out of my mouth and I cringe.  Trying to erase what was ingrained in you for 18 years is hard.  What feels like a natural response at times is not the correct one. 

The words used helped shape my concept of self. I clearly understood what was wrong with me at a young age.  Many of those words still linger in my head.

I don’t want that for my children.  I don’t want them to have a laundry list of their failures and only see themselves through that lens that was painted for them.  

I don’t ever remember hearing  “I am sorry” growing up. 

I teach my kids the importance of  apologizing when they do something wrong.  So in these moments when I handle the situation wrong, I apologize. 

Kids hear what you say but they believe what you do.  They learn more from your actions than your words.   

It is even more important for my kids to know that I know that I am not perfect.  That I make mistakes.  That I am able to own those mistakes.   

I will never be a perfect parent.  I will screw up again, probably tomorrow. I want my kids to know that I respect them enough to offer an apology when I am wrong. That they are worthy of a sincere apology.

The good news in all of this is that I am not alone. God is with me. And God loves me even when I screw up. And I make sure they know that I love them, even when they make a poor choice.  And God still loves them too.   

With God’s help I have to do better, be better. 

After all, I am raising arrows.


For the next blog in this series Throwing out the Rule Book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Agents Resources

Ready to learn more?   Below are several resources available to help you on the first step of your journey.   If you are on facebook consider joining the Be The Bridge facebook group.   Be the Church.   Be the Change in the world.   Be the Hands and Feet of Jesus.   Podcasts   *Scene on Radio-Season two "Seeing White"  https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ and Season four "The Land that Never has been Yet"   * 1619   Online Resources, Groups & Classes   Be the Bridge https://bethebridge.com/   https://bethebridge.com/docs/16Tips.pdf   Books Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race  by Debbie Irving https://www.amazon.com/Waking-White-Finding-Myself-Story/dp/0991331303/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35M7WZD8RVD7M&dchild=1&keywords=waking+up+white&qid=1591025659&sprefix=waki%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1   White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson

You Smell Like Summer

  As I snuggle up next to you and say prayers, I can’t help but notice, you smell like summer. That familiar smell of sunscreen. That outdoor smell. Your cheeks are lightly sun kissed. Too young to remember the events of the day for long.  Exhausted from our day of fun.   You want snuggles before you fall asleep, pretty much every night now.  I know many say that I shouldn’t do it.  It spoils you.  But to be honest,  I enjoy those nightly snuggles as much as you do.  Maybe even more. For just a couple minutes every night I lay down next to you and you wrap your tiny little arms around me. The worries of the world disappear. You smile at me and close your eyes. The smile lingers on your face for a few seconds more.  Sometimes,  I lay there for only a few minutes.  Then, I give you one more kiss and we say good night before I leave.  But other nights, nights like tonight, I lay here and watch you as you drift off to sleep. Tonight, you smell like summer.  A fresh reminder of the fun day